The Pont du Gard is an aqueduct in the South of France constructed by the Roman Empire, and located in Vers-Pont-du-Gard near Remoulins, in the Gard département. Pont du Gard means literally bridge of the Gard (river). The Gard River, which has given its name to the Gard département, does not actually exist under this name. The river, formed by many tributaries, several of which are called Gardon, is itself called Gardon until its end. It has long been thought that the Pont du Gard was built by Augustus` son-in-law and aide, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, around the year 19 BC. Newer excavations, however, suggest the construction may have taken place in the middle of the first century A.D, consequently, opinion is now somewhat divided on the matter. Designed to carry the water across the small Gardon river valley, it was part of a nearly 50 km (31 mi) aqueduct that brought water from the Fontaines d`Eure springs near Uzès to the Castellum in the Roman city of Nemausus (Nîmes).
From the days when Thomas Jefferson envisioned the new republic as a nation dependent on citizen farmers for its stability and its freedom, the family farm has been a vital image in the American consciousness. As the main structures of farms, barns evoke a sense of tradition and security, of closeness to the land and community with the people who built them. Many farmers built their barns before they built their houses, so many farm families look to their old barns as links with their past. Old barns are often community landmarks and embody ethnic traditions and local customs.
Rainbow Bridge, located on Lake Powell, is the world`s largest natural bridge and is considered a sacred place by the Navajo Indians, for whom personified rainbows have stood as guardians of the universe. This natural wonder nestles among canyons carved by streams en route to the Colorado River from Navajo Mountain`s north flank. Until the formation of Lake Powell, this was one of the most remote and inaccessible regions in the contiguous United States. It is located on 160 acres of federal land in San Juan County, Utah, immediately adjacent to Navajo Mountain and the Navajo Reservation.Today, the bridge is accessible by a two-hour, one-way boat ride from Wahweap Marina.
Santa Barbara Harbor from the kite cam. The Harbor began almost a hundred years ago when a wealthy Santa Barbara resident wanted to keep his yacht closer to home - or so the story goes. He created the breakwater and harbor that keeps the considerable fishing and pleasure boat population of Santa Barbara safe and moored.
Santa Barbara Mission from the kite cam. The Santa Barbara Mission was the tenth of the California Missions to be founded by the Spanish Franciscans. It was established on the Feast of St. Barbara, December 4, 1786.
Padre Junipero Serra, who had founded the first nine Missions, had died 2 years earlier. It was Padre Fermin Francisco de Lasuen, his successor, who raised the cross and made the first converts.
The original buildings were unpretentious and made of adobe. Over time three adobe churches were constructed on the grounds, each larger than the one before until the fourth and present church was built in 1820. The third was destroyed by earthquake in 1812. The fountain in front was built in 1808.
The earthquake of June 29, 1925 damaged the Mission church and friary considerably. The earthquake occurred during a chapel service. People rushed out of the chapel while the beams in the front of the church fell. Fortunately no one was hurt. Restoration work was completed in 1927 and the towers reinforced in 1953.